A specially designed Voucher Program under
which vouchers worth Rs 5,100 per annum is given to over 200
students from economically and socially weaker section of the
society. 120 of them are from three slums namely Jagannathpur, New Latma and Bariatu at Ranchi,
and 80 students belong to a village namely Chandapada,
Lodhma, Block- Karra of Khunti District, Jharkhand. They are those
students who earlier were studying in a government school or were
dropouts or were going to a small slum school. With vouchers from
Pratigya these children took admission in better private schools
of the choice of their own and their parents. The school in which
they are studying now is YMCA Public School, St. Annes’s High School ,
Prabhat Tara School , St. Anne’s Middle School, Birsa Shiksha Niketan,
Yogoda Satsang Vidyalaya etc. The Voucher Project is being run
with aim to strengthen the initiative of "Right to Choose School,
with Right to Education" for every child of the nation irrespective
of social and economic condition they hail from. Pratigya intends to
include over 1000 children under this project in next 3 years and act
as Policy Demonstrator for sustainable model of Quality School Education
for the last mile children. This model also has the potential to solve
problems regarding quality and choice in the present government education system.
You can take this initiative ahead by sponsoring education of a child with Rs 500 per month.
Under RTE-25% Campaign, we are advocating for the proper implementation the provision of reservation of 25% seats for underprivileged children in private schools under Right To Education Act and facilitating underprivileged children to get admission in these schools at Ranchi
. A helpline no. namely RTE Helpline is also being run by Pratigya.
We are also working at the policy level advocacy to get the policy level gaps pertaining to this provision of the RTE Act filled in Jharkhand
We started this campaign on pilot basis at Ranchi in December 2014 to ensure that the rights granted to underprivileged children by the enactment of Right to Education act 2009, reaches the masses that need it the most.
Activities under this campaign:
• Mass Awareness : We are making the community aware about this porvision of the RTE Act through various means including posters, pamphlets , community meeting, print media etc. We are reaching to the underprivileged community living in various slums and rural areas of Ranchi.
• Facilitation in admissions: Around 20 volunteers of Pratigya visited the slums in 55 wards and rural areas of Ranchi and spread awareness about the Right to Education Act. They are also helping the parents in filling up forms for admission to private schools and accompanying parents to facilitate the childrens admission into school.
• Helpline number, 0651-6888898: Any parent who wishes to understand the law and get their children admitted to private schools under this act can call this number in order to discuss and resolve any difficulties that might be having in gettings their children admitted to private schools. The helpline will provide counselling to anyone who needs it.
• Dialogue with the schools: We have written letters to the 70 schools of Ranchi and have emplored them for their support in this campaign and for their support in getting children admitted to the schools. Our volunteers are going to every school and are meeting the principal in this regard.
• Advocacy with government to fill policy level gaps -Delegation of Pratigya met HRD Minister , Jharkhand , and Principal Secretary –HRD , Jhakhand regarding various issues being faced by parents and schools regarding this provision of the act , team also raised various policy level issues and still advocating for the redressal of the same. Pragmatic issues with the implementation of this provision of the act were raised in several discussions and follow up meeting with District Administration and District Education Department. A dedicated team of Pratigya is engaging with government in a meaning full manner to make this opportunity accessible to the disadvantaged children of the society.
• Action on denial of application / admission by school- On denial of blatant denial of application of children from poor communities and denial of entry in the school premise by many private schools , Pratigya raised this issue vehemently at various levels and made complain uptill HRD Minister , Jharkhand. About 300 application denied by various schools were submitted at District Education Department and team is still engaging and pressurizing on day to day basis with the department to facilitate the admission.
By the end of March, 31st 2014 Pratigya reached over 2,000 households directly in various slums
and rural areas of Ranchi and more than 5,000 families indirectly through various means.
Volunteers of Pratigya also facilitated appliation of over 400 children for various
private schools of Ranchi and admission of over three dozen students were completed by the end
of the year. RTE-25% campaign is being continued in the academic / financial year 2014-15 as well.
Admission of hundreds of student from BPL category as per the provision of Right to Education Act
is under process in the new year and Team Pratigya is dedicately putting its effort to make this
campaign a success and ensure the Right to Education to hundreds of last mile childern.
A Supplementary Education
Project for the students who are getting
Education Voucher along with other
students in the surrounding slum. The goal
of this project is to facilitate the
growth of these students, ...more
so that they can
excel in their academic, personal and
social life as a responsible student and
an individual. The major themes on which
we work on, with them are- Life skills,
Social Education, Financial Education,
Counseling, Art and Craft and Extra
Curricular Activities. On these themes,
different activities using different
motivational fun games and interactive
sessions are organized with the help of
various Resource persons and Counselors.
believes that the initiative of "Right to
Choose School, with Right to Education"
can only be obtained with a strong youth
initiative. To sensitise them regarding the
harsh reality of the system, ...more
and mobilize them to become an Active
& Responsible Citizen we organize
several seminar, workshop and training
programme on various socio-economic and
political issue. The major events so far
had been Debate and Discussion on "Present
School System", "Am I an active Citizen?"
seminar and Right to Information Workshop
at various colleges in Ranchi, Jamshedpur, Dumka
and Dhanbad etc.
Support us, and make your
contribution towards bringing about a
Pratigya is an independent youth
initiative to ensure Right to Quality School
Education for each and every child and mobilise
youth to action.
Over 200 students from three slums in Ranchi, Jharkhand and a village in Khunti, Jharkhand are studying in better Private Schools through Education Voucher
About 15% of these students today are among the rank holders in their class who in all probabilities would have been drop outs
Many of our students who took admission in new private schools, having dissatisfaction with their new school , changed their school in the following years. It shows the power of choice, which Education Voucher provides. Some even moved first to vernacular medium and then to English medium schools.
Parents in the community now talk about Quality of Education and are demanding “Right to Choose School”
We started giving Education Voucher to 40 students in 2008 and the number grew more than fivefold in recent years
Our children are running their own bank like entity "Khazana" through which they have been able to understand the concept of savings and saved a considerable amount at this age